Mar 11, 2015

One Scarf, Blue Scarf

Can't say I always let grass grow under my feet...when it comes to weaving. As soon as I had my first scarf hanging up to dry, I was warping my next project. I want to get this right! I want to weave something that the warp is not always breaking in. DOH!!

I found some beautiful superwash Merino in my stash in gorgeous shades of blue, green, and teal. My warp was some luscious mmmmmMalabrigo sock yarn. My plan is to use Sundara Water Study sock yarn with maybe some Tofutsies stripes. We'll see how it goes. With my luck...anything goes!! LOL

Since I'm still learning, I stuck with basic weaving. Nothing fancy. Maybe a stripe here and there. 

My original plan was to have a LONG solid blue scarf with the variegated yarn. I warped another 100+ inches with the mmmmmMalabrigo. I love the blues and greens. Got all set up and away I went!! Zip! Zoom! Beat! Gotta have that nice tight fabric!! HA!! 

I quickly realized I was not going to have enough of my weft yarn (Sundara) to make my LONG scarf. How does one figure out the gauge on a weaving project?! Again, I'm an uber tight knitter...and appear to be an uber tight weaver. LOL So I figure I'll add a stripe in the Tofutsies to help extend the Sundara. 

Well...that ain't going to be enough! I get close to halfway and start thinking I need more Sundara. Hi ho! Hi ho! Off to search I go! Through tubs full with lots of wool! Hi ho! Oh crap!! I can't find another matching skein of Sundara. Oh crap! Maybe I can find some online. ::headdesk:: Has everybody already used their skeins of Water Study from Sundara? :(  C'est une farce!  I did find one skein of Sundara that is a Water Study but it's a different number...same colorway but different shade. I think it will work.

NOW my plan is to switch out the two shades of Sundara and continue the turquoise Tofutsie stripe throughout the whole scarf. See?! Me and plans don't go together. Gotta stay flexibile!!

I really worked on my edges this time. My warp never did break!!! And my edges are really nice. My left side is much nicer than my right. Every now and then the right side gets a little loose and wants to slip up and down the warp. 

I did 3 inches of blue then 5 rows of turquoise. 

The variegated yarn is fabulous!! You get the striping effect with the warp and weft. Love how it works together. 

I finished with 110 inches!! Got it soaked and hung to dry. This time I spent the afternoon watching Californication as I twisted fringe. Got to get that fringe twister!!

Don't panic!! The scarf is not laying on the ground. It's laying across an arch on my patio. It looks like it's on the damp leaves but it's safe.

This one feels maaaaaaaaaaahvelous!!

Next week I finally have a class to learn what I'm doing wrong!! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment