Apr 6, 2015

Pick Up Schticks

Yay!! I've got another class! My second at CHH in two weeks. I'm extra excited because DeeDee will be teaching this class, too. She's a great teacher. I learn a lot from her.

This class is Rigid Heddle 2: A Plethora of PickUps.

We're going to learn how to use a pickup stick with the rigid heddle. It creates lace patterns. We're going to make a sampler scarf with lots of different patterns.

AWESOME!!!

Again, it's the perfect sized class. Only five people in it. A couple of noobies like me. A couple of more experienced ones.

With the class we got yarn AND a pickup stick to take home. SQUEEEE!

I'm still not sure how it exactly works but somehow or another by putting this stick in back behind the heddle and raising it up at certain times and positions when you're weaving, you get this really cool patterns. We learned 3/1 warp floats and 3/1 lace weft floats and window pane and 5/1 lace and 5/1 spot lace and honeycomb and lino lace and brooks lace and stuff I've already forgotten! LOL

You've got to keep track of where you are. Lots of counting rows. That's hard when you've got someone talking CONSTANTLY! and especially when they can't count to themselves. UGH!!! Then if you ask a question they talk over you. There was a couple of times I wanted to chunk my shuttle at her but I behaved. I wish I had been as smart as her. /snark

But once it was all through, we had a really nice sampler scarf that we can refer back to later.

I heart the classes at CHH!!! Again, DeeDee is TERRIFIC!!!!

You should check out classes at CHH! They're fun and you learn lots.

I'm totally motivated now. I just want to stay at home and weave. Just wish I could make a living at it. But first I need a bigger loom. Maybe an Ashford Knitter's Loom 28-inch or the Schacht Flip Loom 25-inch. I really like the Ashford's knobs – they're round and not a peg that my yarn always get hung on. But Schacht is made in America. I'll have to think on this. Pros and cons for each.

So in the meantime, I gotta get started on all my Christmas presents. Guess what you're getting?! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment