Mar 18, 2015

Woven Audio File

I must be addicted. As soon as I finish a project on my loom, I'm warping another project. I'm loving this!!

I've been seeing some pictures of a scarf that has weft zigzag color bands through it. I've been thinking of trying that...not too sure how it's done but I think I have an idea to try. In my yarn extravaganza at WC Mercantile, I bought a couple of spools of cotton. Of course, I didn't have anything else in my stash so I had to get some. /snort So I pulled out the 3/2 black cotton and went to town warping 110 inches on my Cricket 10-inch using a 12-dent.

This is going to be cool! My first one with "real" weaving thread. WOOHOO!!! :)  Well, the weft will be using Schachenmayr Tahiti yarn. I have to do this in baby steps. The Tahiti yarn is 99% cotton and 1% polyester but has vibrant colors that gradually change to another color. I'm thinking I'm going to have cool shades on one side and warm shades on the other side. Fingers crossed this turns out like how I see it in my head. (oh, you should see some of the images in there!!)

With the loom warped, I went to town. It was trial and error at first. I wrapped my shuttles and rewapped and rewrapped trying to get the right color to go on first and thinking about how the shade would end. The idea I have is that I will have two shuttles coming in from both sides that meet in the middle of the shed, interlock, and then go back out the way they came in. Make sense? I don't understand it either. But here it goes...

DANG IT! I missed a slot!!! I am not rewarping this thing. Out comes my black spool of thread and pull through a piece and tie it on. I'll just weight it down in the back. Not sure if this is kosher or not but it's going to have to work.

I gave up on using shuttles. Ended up taking the yarn off and balling it. /snicker It was easier to handle when I pushed the yarn through the shed with an empty shuttle and then interlocking the threads together.

Then my warp started slipping. Huh? It's tight in the middle but the edges are droopy. It didn't start out that way. I try to make adjustments but I can't get it to tighten up. So, I frog what I've got done and try to tighten up the warp again. Got it tight and started again.

WHAT!? It starts doing it again? What gives?!?! Why do I have a droopy warp? It's tight when I start weaving but then it loosens up. I don't understand. Dang, I want a better class on weaving! CRAP! I frog again. But this time I'm going to really redo it by pairing up starts and ends of each thread so they're not twisted up and make sure it's straight on the back beam. I've been using paper to make sure everything was even. Maybe I'll use thicker paper this time.

Third time's the charm, right?!? It's all straight and tight now. Off I go! It seems to be working now! YAY!!!

Look how the colors are working! This is cool! It reminds me of a sound wave file.

I still have a little bit of tension problems but they're not as bad as earlier. My warp keeps getting tangled up on the ratchet inside the loom. That sure is a pain there. It's almost like a design flaw. hmmmmm....

I find some of the colors don't change as often as I would like them to. I help them along. I'm liking how this is turning out.

During one of my many breaks, I check out Contemporary Handweavers of Houston. Man, I want a real class. Lookie!!! They're back open!!! HALLELUJAH!!!! Sign me up!!!

I was able to get into the Beginning Rigid Heddle class. It's a 6-hour class where we'll learn the basics about our rigid heddle looms. And guess what, it's only two weeks away!! I better get busy finishing this scarf so I can have an empty loom to take. 

Finally, it's done! This had a lot of frustrating moments with the edges slipping and not maintaining tension. I really think it has to do with the ratchet on the inside. Weaving took a little longer because of interlocking the yarns and then adjusting where they met in the shed. (everybody should have a friend they meet in the shed!)  I'm tickled pink with the outcome.


It ended up 96 inches long and 9 inches wide plus 6 inches of fringe.

I wet finished it by soaking it in some Soak then hung it outside to dry draped over a thick hanger. I did toss it in the dry on low with a Bounce sheet. It's uber soft!!

Look how the colors change. I do wish they turned out a little more vibrant. Maybe the next one I try with a white warp.

I finished just in time for my next weaving class at CHH.
 Not sure what we'll make there but I'm excited!



2 comments:

  1. As for your slipping warps, next time try warping with sticks instead of paper. Many times the paper will compress on the edges and slide. I use single sided corrugated paper but most people prefer sticks as the size of the yarn roll on the warp beam doesn't increase as much.
    Glad you are finally enrolled in a class now. Hope to see you at the April guild meeting.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion!!! I will definitely give that a try.
      I've had two classes at CHH and just LOVED them!!!

      I hope to make the next meeting. Looking forward to meeting you.
      m

      Delete