Jun 7, 2015

Just Call Me Smurfette.

I'm still on restrictions since my neck surgery. I'm not weaving much...if any. And definitely no lifting! But before my surgery I had signed up for a couple of dyeing classes at CHH Guild House. (FYI...This is a GREAT place for fiber classes!!) I should be able to lift fabric in and out of colored water. (oh boy! what an understatement!)

The first class was this weekend. It was Indigo Dye Day with Connie Elliott. I had no clue what this class was going to be like. I signed up because it sounded like something fun and different. Boy, was I right!!! This class was AWESOME!!! Connie is a great resource. She knows her dyeing. I was totally amazed. My head is still spinning from all the stuff we learned. It was a fantastic hands on and experiment with textiles. A bit messy...but hell, if you don't get messy, then you don't learn...that's my motto. What's a little indigo dye under your fingernails or on your clothes or up your elbows or or in your hair? It washes!

We tried out both the natural indigo dye and mixed in lye and Ritz Color Remover. Then we tried out the new fangled freeze-dried indigo. VEEEEEWY INTEWESTING. We had to be careful not to add more air (oxygen) into the vat as we moved our pieces in to dye and out to dry. When you first take your piece out it's green! But as soon as the air hit it...it starts to oxidize and turns that beautiful indigo. Way cool!!



We got lots of textile samples to try out...cotton, linen, rayon, silk, and yarn. We did folding and tying and clamping and resisting techniques. My head is still spinning. The possibilities are endless.

I see pillows and scarves and napkins in my future. Merry Christmas in advance!! Avoid the rush...get your gift requests in now!! LOL

Here's some of my sample pieces.

I pleated this then tied it up. 


This is a large cotton towel. I grabbed the corners together and then started tying.  One of my classmates said she saw tulips. And she's right! See in the bottom left corner...a tulip!


Some classic tie-dye. I wrapped sections with string and hoped for the best.

This one was fun to do. I folded the square diagonally then started pleating it from the corner point at the fold on one side. From the opposite corner point I rolled the material. Then I folded and tied it up.

This is a piece of silk that I did an accordion braid with it then clamped it tight.

I took a skein of superwash merino to try. I love the color. It's like a nice faded denim. The small twist of yarn is some cotton that we got in the class. They both will weave up nicely!
 

Would I recommend this class?
HELL YES!!

Will I take more drugs next time?
Damn straight!!

Was the pain worth it?
DEFINITELY!!!

Did I sleep good last night?
The neighborhood redneck firework show did not wake me up.

My next class is in a couple of weeks. We'll be using fiber reactive dyes to color our warps and yarn and fabric. OOOOOOOOOOOOH MY!!!! We'll be applying the dyes...no immersing. This could dangerously fun!!! I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Thanks, Connie, for a fantastic day!!

1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear that class was a roaring success! I love indigo dyeing and Connie is an expert.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete