Apr 15, 2015

Rock-A-Bye Blankie

*** N E W S   F L A S H ***
I'm breaking away from weaving scarves to try to weave a baby blanket.


That's right folks! You heard it here first. I am going to try to see if I can weave a baby blanket and create my own pattern.  OOOPS! I mean draft. Weavers draft. That sounds so wishy-washy to me. Why is it draft? Drafts aren't final. It is still in the works. A pattern is final. It's written. A draft is still being written. No wonder weavers are warped!!

I have a friend who's having a Summer baby in Texas. No need for wool or anything heavy here! I'm using 3/2 cotton from Valley Yarns...Sherbert Combo, White, and Mediterranean Blue... on a 10-dent heddle.

My plan is to weave five 8-inch panels then sew them together some how or another then come in and crochet a pretty little border around it. We'll see how this works out.

The two outside panels are warped with 91 ends and in one long continuous 110-inch warp. I did
7 White | 80 Sherbert Combo | 4 White

Now for the weft... There will be 7-inch "blocks" with 5 rows of white in between each block alternating up the panel starting with Sherbert Combo then Mediterranean Blue.

For the pattern, each Sherbert block will be a 5/1 spot lace with weft floats. The Mediterranean Blue blocks will be a 5/1 warp float.

If I figure this out correctly, I should end up with a 38- to 40-inch-square woven blanket. So far...so good. I have my two outside panels done. I just need to warp the three inside panels. I'm not sure if I can get a 130-inch warp on my little Cricket.

The inside panels will be warped with 88 ends.
4 White | 80 Sherbert Combo | 4 White

It will follow a similar pattern but when the panels are sewn together, the colors will be alternating.

It's going pretty fast. It's funny, the slowest part of this will be the portion that takes up the least amount of space...the crocheted border. I'm not sure what color I will do that in. Probably white with maybe a color stripe somewhere in it.

This concludes our news flash. Stay tuned for any updates.
*** E N D ***

No comments:

Post a Comment